Woman Almost Lost Her Legs Due To A Very Common Habit Most Women Have
Dana Sedgewick, a mother who nearly lost her legs opened up about her horrifying experience that started after shaving her groin. The infection started immediately after shaving from a brand new razor and cutting an area on her groin.
She saw a red rash that quickly turned into black from a flesh-eating infection called necrotizing fasciitis. The doctors removed the rotting skin but she was attacked by sepsis during the procedure and was placed in a coma with just a 30 percent of survival.
Luckily, she survived but with a kidney failure and four instances of heart stopping. “Like a lot of women, I tried to keep a tidy bikini line. So I had a quick trim with a new razor,” she told. “But over the weekend, I felt unwell and noticed a little pimple on my groin which kept bleeding. I didn’t think anything of it as I often got a rash from shaving. Little did I know that this tiny pimple would almost cost me my life.”
Obviously, she was shocked to see her legs after the incident. “It was horrific. All of my muscle had rotted away, and I had a crater of skin near my groin. I felt like I was going to throw up,” she said. “But I knew that it could have been much, much worse. I could easily have lost my legs – or worse, died.”
She was discharged after six weeks of treatment. However, she had to struggle for the next four years as she underwent 21 surgeries. Her husband, Matthew, was by her side the whole time.
“It didn’t feel like my own body any more,” she said. “But with Mat’s support, I grew to see the scars as a reminder of how brave I’d been, and how lucky I was to survive. It’s incredible to think a tiny shaving spot could have killed me. I had a very close shave indeed.”
Many expressed their support and sympathies to her:
“Necrotizing Fascitis is nothing 2 joke about!!!! Lucky she kept her legs and her life!!!!!!” one Mad World News reader commented on the site’s Facebook page.
“God bless you hope you are feeling better,” another added.