A man attracted a deadly skull infection in an unfortunate incident after he used cotton buds to clean his ears.
The unlucky man from British apparently developed necrotising otitis externa – a bacterial infection that targeted the lining of his skull. He had seizures before collapsing. He was then rushed to hospital where doctors identified the issue.
A piece of cotton wool was found in one of his ears, which resulted in infection and spread up through his ear canal and into his skull.
Shockingly, the man has been dealing with the symptoms for up to five years and even got treated a couple of times.
The infection was so bad that he vomited because of severe headaches while he was being taken to the hospital. He also had neurological symptoms, including struggling to remember people’s names. The CT scan on his brain then revealed two pus-filled abscesses in the bones at the base of his skull.
Luckily, he made a quick recovery after a minor surgery to remove the cotton wool, followed by two-week course of antibiotics to get rid of the infection.
Hopefully, you have learnt a lesson with this and according NHS you should not be using your fingers or any objects like cotton buds to remove earwax as it will push it in and make it worse.
They say that usually wax will just fall out on its own, meaning that you don’t really have to clean your ears. But if you do feel as though you have wax build-up, putting two to three drops of olive or almond oil in your ear twice a day for a few days should help. After two weeks the wax should fall out – usually at night when you’re lying down.