A woman named Rachael Knappier has said that her lips quadrupled in size after a botched filler injection. She even warned people to take care of their lips before dealing with botched filler.
She explained that she had feared about losing her top lip and went on to say that nurses were laughing at her during the ‘terrifying ordeal’. She told that she was given the injections at a Botox party after a friend had suggested it.
She said: “It was fine. I went to bed. I woke up at two in the morning and saw what you see in those pictures.
“My lips touched my nose. They quadrupled in size. The pressure and burning on my lips was unbelievable.”
She rushed to A&E as she was understandably worried. The hospital staff found it hard to believe what had happened to her and actually burst out laughing.
She said: “They hadn’t seen anything like it before. I’ve turned up to A&E with this huge thing on my face.
“I’m telling them I’m having an allergic reaction, which is what I thought was happening. Three doctors said I’d actually had the filler injected into my artery.”
Three days after the botched injection, Rachael’s lips finally went back down to normal size, but she is now campaigning for tighter regulations surrounding the procedure and wants to warn of the dangers, saying: “Protect before you inject.”
According to the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS), there has been a steep rise in the number of unregulated procedures – often with no qualifications required to administer filler injections in the UK.
Dr Tijon Esho joined Rachael in the studio and revealed he had been contacted by children as young as 13 looking for lip fillers.
The doctor said Rachael was lucky not to have lost her top lip and urged people to only ever have the procedure done by a medical professional.
He warned: “She was lucky it was identified as this and had the right agent to dissolve the filler. Many people have life-changing injuries because of this.”
What’s your take on the whole issue?